Thank You Note Samples:
Find the Perfect Thank You Card Wording
Check out these free thank you note samples for business and personal occasions. Find a situation that matches yours and browse the sample notes to get inspired.
Whether you want to say thank you for being a great teacher, a super friend, a wonderful mom... thank you for dinner, for the graduation gift, for the baby or wedding shower... thank you for the sales referral, the meeting, or the interview... it's all here.
What? You say that's too much work? You want it written for you? Try the Thank You Note Wizard below!
WRITE IT FOR ME: Thank You Note Wizard
Looking for a new way to say the same old thing? Here are a few wording ideas that should warm up your letter:
Instead of saying "Thank you for the...", try:
- I so appreciate...
- I loved the...
- How did you know I wanted a...?
Instead of saying "It's great," how about:
- It's truly excellent
- It's sensational
- It's fantastic
- It's the envy of the neighborhood
Instead of saying "It's pretty," substitute:
- It's gorgeous or stunning
- It's charming or delightful
- It's elegant or exquisite
- It's perfect or "so me"
Thank You Note DON'Ts
- Don't include fewer than three sentences.
- Don't use pre-printed or fill-in-the-blank thank you cards.
- Don't wait a year to mail thank you notes for wedding gifts.
- Don't name the amount when thanking someone for money. Say "Thank you for the generous gift."
- Don't NOT send a note because you assume it has been too long. It's never to late to say thank you.
Top 10 FAQs: Thank You Note Samples
Here are the Top 10 Most Frequently Asked Questions ( FAQs ) about thank
you notes and thank you note samples. The answers are taken from professional research, etiquette
experts, and personal experience.
- How long do I have to write a thank you note?
Obviously send them out as soon as possible, but within 2 weeks is
generally acceptable. For wedding gifts, it's 2 weeks for presents
received before the wedding and within one month for ones received
after. For gifts received while you were sick, write them as soon as
you're well enough.
- Do I have to write a thank you note for a thank you note?
No. But if you received a thank you gift and the giver wasn't
there to thank in person, then yes, you should write a note. (If the
gift is from a close friend or relative, you can email or call.)
- When do I need to send a thank you gift in addition to a note?
This is really a judgment call on your part. A big over-the-top gift
for a comparatively minor favor might embarrass the recipient and
backfire on you. For example: Did you see the Seinfeld episode where
Elaine buys George a cup of coffee, so he buys her a coffeemaker as a
thank you? Elaine was more confused than impressed. In this case, a
simple verbal "thanks" when George received the coffee would have been
- How do I write a thank you note?
See How to Write a Thank You Note: The Basics. Or try the Thank You Note Samples Wizard at the top of this page!
- How is a business thank you note different from one I send to a friend?
Don't sign a business note "Love"; "Sincerely" is your best bet.
Don't get too personal; stick to the facts.
Enclose your business card in a business thank you note. Check out any of the business thank you note samples to notice the change in tone too.
- If I interview with a group of people (panel), do I need to send each person a note?
Yes. The notes can be similar though. Here are some interview thank you note samples.
- Is it ok to email thank you notes?
It depends on the recipient. If you're thanking someone you know well
and speak with often, email is probably fine. But for the rest of the
crowd, you're better off with a handwritten note. Also take into
account the effort that person put into your gift. Is it worth a quick
email or does it deserve a warmer, more personal thanks?
- When should my children start writing their own thank you notes?
Children can "help" parents write notes as soon as they are old enough to hold a crayon or peel a sticker.
When they are old enough to write their names, they should sign the cards you write.
When they're old enough to write, kids can write them with a little help with wording from parents.
More in Thank You Note Samples for Kids.
- How long does it have to be?
At least 4 sentences, roughly. Think--
Thanks for the gift
Why you like it
How you'll use it
Closing sentence such as "looking forward to seeing you soon".
More tips in the How To section.
- When do I NOT need to write one?
When in doubt, write one! It's always a good idea. However, if you
thanked the giver in person, or if you live with the giver, you can get a
pass. Caveat: If it's a shower gift, write one even if you already
thanked them at the shower.
Read more tips on the Etiquette page.
Why Bother with Thanking?
Whether it's a close friend or a business colleague, saying "thank you" is always important. Why is it necessary to show gratitude? Lots of clinically proven reasons:
- It makes people happy (both those giving and receiving the note)
- It improves students' grades
- It gives people more energy
- It encourages others to bestow even more gifts upon you and others!
Another reason to thank those around you: It's good manners. Though it's not clinically proven, it is certainly culturally true. And good manners help you more than you realize.
Thank you notes don't have to be long or mushy or complicated. It's
really all about letting people know you appreciate their efforts. The
trick is to just start writing. You don't need to come up with the
perfect thank you note. Simply let them know you appreciate it.
When have you ever wished someone hadn't thanked you?
Ready? Choose Your Thank You Note Samples Topic and Copy!
Read thank you note samples for a: